On Wednesday, the U.S. Division of Protection (DoD) introduced a landmark $1.3 billion safety help package deal for Ukraine below the Ukraine Safety Help Initiative (USAI).
“This USAI package deal reiterates the unwavering U.S. dedication to assembly Ukraine’s urgent necessities by offering essential near-term capabilities whereas concurrently constructing the enduring capability of Ukraine’s Armed Forces,” a DoD mentioned in a statement.
The package deal represents the beginning of a contracting course of to ship extra precedence capabilities to Ukraine, distinct from the Presidential Drawdown authority which the DoD continues to make the most of for fast gear supply.
The expansive package deal encompasses a variety of battlefield requirements, with a give attention to air protection capabilities and munitions.
- 4 Nationwide Superior Floor-to-Air Missile Techniques (NASAMS) and munitions;
- 152mm artillery rounds;
- Mine clearing gear;
- Tube-Launched, Optically-Tracked, Wire-Guided (TOW) missiles;
- Phoenix Ghost and Switchblade Unmanned Aerial Techniques (UAS);
- Precision aerial munitions;
- Counter-UAS and digital warfare detection gear;
- 150 gas vehicles;
- 115 tactical autos to tow and haul gear;
- 50 tactical autos to recuperate gear;
- Port and harbor safety gear;
- Tactical safe communications techniques;
- Help for coaching, upkeep, and sustainment actions.
Throughout a press convention on Wednesday, White Home Principal Deputy Press Secretary, Karine Jean Pierre, reaffirmed the U.S. dedication to supporting Ukraine. “This package deal contains extra essential air protection capabilities… extra artillery rounds and mine clearing gear in addition to unmanned aerial techniques and gear that can assist Ukraine higher defend its ports,” she mentioned.
The Deputy Press Secretary reminded the press of President Biden’s current declaration of assist for Ukraine throughout his go to to Valenius final week.
Jean Pierre mentioned, “As President Biden made clear… america is dedicated to supporting Ukraine alongside our allies and companions now and for the lengthy future.”
Recall Biden vowed to assist Ukraine’s battle towards Moscow “as long as it takes.”